Friday, March 2, 2012

Tennessee

I pulled into Chattanooga and was immediately swept into the whirlwind preparations of the family packing up to go to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, where my step-grandma Ludy, had rented a cabin for us to have a rustic holiday. Her mother was living with her at the time and was to go along but had fallen and hurt her back so was staying behind with a relation to look after her.
“Grandma is cool but pretty old – has only one leg which is kinda neat in a way/ she really gets around on her crutches & refuses to wear her false leg or use a wheelchair – she is in love with the old cabin (painting) we sent Ludy – she used to live in one.”
Of course I didn’t write down any more details about her at the time and now I am burning with curiosity! I was just a stupid self involved kid then. Food, suitcases, and whatnot –were packed into their big car - I planned to drive myself up separately in my VW (in case an early escape was needed). Upon our arrival, one suitcase was unclaimed. Opening it up, they found it filled with pajamas, pills, Marlboro cigarettes, and an Esquire magazine. We quickly surmised that it belonged to the Aunt who was staying to look after granny. It was whisked off to the nearest big town to go back on the bus to Chattanooga. Aunt Betty would have had a tough time trying to don Granny’s PJs as they all had one leg cut off and sewn shut to accommodate her stump. My stay in Gatlinburg was a mixed bag of fun and chaos-
“wow Gatlinburg is a real California style tourist trap. Pretty if you can keep away from town – which we didn’t – saw Ripley’s Believe It or Not “Highlight of trip” whoopee- really cold yucky foggy weather except for Sunday which of course we wasted as we all slept in & missed it & had to leave – oh well”
I did do several paintings on the screened in porch, which was cold and damp but made warm with shots of Southern Comfort. I seem to remember that Ludy rode back to Chattanooga with me so we could chat, she was my step-Grandma and only a few years older than my own parents, she married my Mother’s Dad after he had divorced my grandma and had his fill of a frisky young second wife who proved to be too much for even him. He and Ludy had two children, one a year older than me the other a year younger – it was always a source of amusement to me to refer to them as 'Aunt' and 'Uncle' when they were more like cousins. Our families were close despite the distance between Tennessee and California - we bridged the gap with letters, phone calls, and visits back and forth. Ludy was always peppy and full of fun, like a bonus Grandma. How neat it would be to drive through the Smoky Mountains once more with her riding shotgun.

1 comment: